Sunday, November 13, 2011

Briggs' BIG owie

Where to start... It has been a long weekend. As stated in the previous post, I helped host a baby shower for Kim and Wyatt this afternoon. When I got home the boys were outside playing, I was ready to change and make dinner and Frankie was exhausted from being home with the boys all day. Frankie was helping me bring the boys inside and in usuall fashion Briggs is not wanting to come inside so Frankie picks him and is carrying him inside. He was trying to distract him from coming inside and tripped over his pants. They both fell to the ground, outside!! I heard Frankie scream my name in a way that I never wish to hear again. My first thought was Briggs was hit by a car. I ran outside and saw both of them on the ground and Briggs was crying, not screaming. I first looked for blood... there was none. Secondly, I looked around his head and saw an area on the back of his that I could tell had hit the ground. I decided it look like too big of an area to hit the ground and decided that he needed to be seen. We went inside, I changed, Frankie got somethings together for the boys and we were out the door. While I was changing, I laid Briggs on our bed and he just laid there. This is not in Briggs' fashion at all!! This reiterated our decision to take him to the emergency room. On the way, Frankie and I kept talking to Briggs and trying to get him to respond to us. He would answer us but not in a "Briggs" way. He also kept trying to fall asleep and he had only been awake for an hour after and two and half hour nap. As we were getting into downtown Fort Worth he began to throw up. Again, another sign that we were making the right decision. We walked right in and saw a nurse and very shortly there after saw a doctor. They wanted him to have a CT scan to check for fractures, bleeding and swelling. The side of his head was very swollen and he would not let any one touch it. He was perfect through the scan. And next came the waiting game. It took several hours to get the results and we were not able to leave until he stopped throwing up and his level of consciouness had returned to normal. We finally received the results and he did have a pretty big skull fracture (like 4-5 inches) down the side of his head. The good news is that there was no swelling or bleeding. They allowed him to finally drink something and once he was able to keep that down we were able to go home and keep a very close on him. We were also told that the radiologist saw something called Chiari Malformation. What??? We were here for a skull fracture and we got this news too. He said to follow up with a MRI and neurosurgeon. At that point, that information went into our brain and was just stored there until the next day when we had eaten, slept and had a chance to regroup. The next few weeks are going to be long and tiring trying to keep him from hitting his head. For everyone out there with more than one child you know how difficult it is going to be. My boys love to wrestle, run and be typical boys. Wish us luck and say a prayer that the next weeks go smoothly and that we get good results from the MRI and neurosurgeon.

No comments: