Thursday, December 15, 2011

Another day in the life of Briggs

Today was just another Thursday for us. Except for we had the boys' Christmas parties at school and Briggs had his follow up appointment with the neurosurgeon, Dr. Huneycutt. He had to be seen by him due to a Chiari Malformation that was found on his CAT scan from his previous fall. After the ER doctors noted this "malformation" we were referred to a neurosurgeon and then onto a MRI. We had the MRI done 2 weeks prior which he was completely put under for and lasted about 2 hours. He did great during the procedure and it was confirmed that he did have Chiari Malformation Type I. Dr. Huneycutt wants to follow up with him in a year with another MRI. Briggs will continue to have these yearly until Dr. H decides he either needs surgery to fix it or it has gotten better with several confirmed MRIs. We are happy that we don't need surgery now and pray for these same results in years to come!
After leaving the doctor we headed to school so I could be there with the boys at their Christmas parties. They both had special lunches, treats and fun activities during their parties. I am the awesome mom that only took pictures of Briggs and not Brooks. My camera has been broken for awhile now and all I had was phone and things get kinda crazy having two boys with me being the room mom for both and at the same time.

Our Rudolph


The rest of the day went as planned. The boys came home, took a nap, we played, ate dinner and watched a cartoon before getting in the bath and then onto bed. I bathe and Frankie gets Brooks dressed and teeth brushed while I finish up Briggs. This night was no different. I finished getting Briggs' pajamas on and off he ran into the bathroom to brush his teeth. With in 10 seconds of him leaving his room I hear Frankie scream my name and Briggs crying hysterically. There was blood everywhere and all I could see is that Briggs would be taking another trip to the ER. It had not even been 5 weeks since we were there last and here we go again. I help him the whole way trying to get the bleeding to stop while Frankie drove frantically in the rain to downtown. Once I finally got the bleeding to stop I was able to see that there were a couple of teeth that were not where they were suppose to be. Upon arrival we were taken straight back to triage and then onto a permanent room. The ER doctor came in quickly and assessed our situation. He was very upfront with the plan of action. Stitches and multiple teeth being pulled. They called the on call pediatric dentist, started an IV and put numbing gel on his lip/mouth. Luckily, for the second time my mom met us at the hospital to help with Brooks and was there for a little moral support. After talking with the dentist, we sent Brooks and my mom home because it was going to be a long night. They got us ready for surgery to remove the teeth and stitch up his lip/mouth. I sat outside the room while he was in surgery and as soon as they were finished I was able to go inside to be with him. It took him awhile to wake up and once he did he could not stop throwing up. We were there well into the early morning hours. I slept in his room with him to watch him closely. My mom and Brooks came home early afternoon and were here to help with Briggs. They ended up pulling a total of three teeth and were hopeful that the fourth that was loose would tighten up on its own. We have options for fixing his teeth but at this point Frankie and I are fine leaving his teeth the way they are. He has a pretty low smile line so it is difficult to see unless he gives you a really big smile.

So needless to say we have paid our dues as far injuries and are looking forward to no more ER visits!!

No comments: