These past several weeks have been rough in the May household. Back in the early part of October Briggs was started having difficulties eating. I was exclusively breastfeeding and he went from eating 12-15 minutes to eating 2-4 minutes and refused to latch back on. At that point I thought he was just not going to be a breast baby but I was wrong. I decided to pump and bottle feed so I knew how much he was getting. Since he was only about 6 weeks old I was not overly concerned that he was eating only about 20 oz a day. But as the days and weeks went on, he was starting to refuse bottles all together. I could watch him after a feeding and you could see the pain of reflux as he sat propped up in the bouncy seat. I called his pediatrician and voiced my concerns and she had me start him on once dose of Prevacid (7.5 mg) and that we would check his weight and talk more at his two month appointment. As most of you saw he was only 11 lbs (40%) at his two month check-up so we decided to have an Upper GI sonogram done. This showed 4 major and 1 minor episode of reflux so we increased his medicine to twice a day. He was still only eating 18-23 oz per day and 23 oz was a very, very good day. He was still acting like he was in pain, gaging on the bottle and just down right refusing to eat sometimes. I am sure most of you are wondering if he was spitting up... NO!! I guess there is such thing as silent reflux and we truly believe that this is what we are dealing with. November 10 we went to see a GI doctor at Cook Children's. I tend to be bias to this hospital and unfortunately learned the hard way that there are many more wonderful, intelligent doctors out there. Dr. O, the GI doc at CCMC, basically brushed us off with yes he has reflux and lets change his medicine to Nexium and give him Carafate (a medicine that help soothe any irritated areas in his esophagus) for a week. He did not want us to follow up with him and really did not act interested. We followed all of his recommendations and at the end of last week I thought for sure we were going to end up in the hospital with a dehydrated baby. Monday we went to our pedi for a weight check and he had only gained 9 oz in a month. Yes you read that right Briggs is not gaining weight and he is almost to the point where they are discussing tube feedings through an NG tube. A mother and father's worst nightmare. Feeding time SUCK!!!! Brooks is getting pushed to the side since I am having to spend so much time feeding Briggs. I feel like an awful mom. I am constantly frustrated and cry frequently. For all of you that know me, know I DON'T cry. This sucks and I am not enjoying being a mom of two. I love them both dearly but there is only so much one person can endure on a day to day basis. Let me just make sure you all know that I am not that going to hurt either child or myself I am just ready to have healthy baby.
I think that maybe today we finally have a plan with an end in sight. We got a second opinion with another GI doc and I love her. She was awesome!! We increased his Nexium to two times a day and have started adding Simply Thick to his bottles. I am meeting with a speech therapist tomorrow to help with feeding since we all believe that he has developed an oral aversion. Wish us luck!! Oh and in the midst of all of this I am also on a dairy and soy free diet. Have you ever read the labels on food???? Well I can basically can have meat, fruit, veggies and some whole grain stuff. Perfect timing for the holidays, huh? This is how important breastfeeding is to me and Frankie. I will try to keep you all updated since I have now burdened you all with our family issue but I cannot make any promises. Please keep us in your prayers... we need alot of them right.
One more thing Gami, Erik and Anderson are have a GIRL!!! We are so excited for the Afkhami's and cannot wait to her!!!!
Blonde Hela Filmen Sverige -720p-DAT
6 years ago
9 comments:
Katie- so sorry you are having to go through all of that. Sounds really stressful- hope little Briggs gets better soon. We'll keep you guys in our prayers!
Girl you will get through this. You have a large support team and I will lift you up to the lord as you push through and pray that he starts eating better! You are doing great!!!!!
Katie, I'm so sorry you are going through all of this! I will be praying for your family. Keep us updated!
I have being thinking about you so much!!! I cant imagine how hard this is! I hope this new doctor can help you get things under control. I will continue to pray for you guys!!!
I am so sorry you are having to deal with all of that. Hopefully the new treatments will work with Briggs and you can start enjoying being a mom again. I will pray for y'all.
I don't really know you and you don't really know me, but we know a lot of the same people (I also went to Martin)... With that said, I've been reading your blog off and on for the last few months and the reflux thing caught my eye. Both of my children have reflux-- the older one was severe, like Briggs, and is allergic to milk products/ingredients & pecans which worsened the problem. I had to cut out all possible allergens while breastfeeding-- so I feel your pain. (He also had to have a pH probe & tubes in ears as a result of the reflux). And, you're right, it doesn't take long for babies to figure out that it hurts when they eat, so they stop eating altogether. We eventually had to switch over to a special formula, Neocate, and it made an UNBELIEVABLE difference-- mostly because of his allergies! Hopefully you'll be able to continue to breastfeed and he'll start eating again consistently. All that to say, hang in there!!!! I remember the days of just sobbing out of frustration & helplessness. It will get better, I promise!!!
-Jessica Vick Lewis
Oh, Katie...I am so sorry! I can't even imagine how frustrating this must be. Hopefully the new GI doctor and speech therapist will make a great team and get Briggs back on track ASAP! We'll be thinking about y'all...
Katie- what a bummer! I cannot imagine. We all have our trials and it seems like you are doing a great job. It's totally okay to vent! I will keep yall in my prayers and hope to hear soon that he is doing better!
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Briggs. You are a wonderful mom. Take it one day at a time and don't feel guilty for the things you can't get done. Just focus on your babies.
Post a Comment