Briggs turned one month on Thursday. I cannot believe that he is already a month old... how time flies when you are having fun!! We have had a very busy first month. Our first night home was not exactly how I thought it would be. I begged the doctors let us come home after one day since I was going to have difficulties finding someone to watch Brooks. We were all exhausted and my milk was not in yet. At midnight, after listening to Briggs scream for several hours on and off, I sent Frankie to Walmart to get some formula. I only gave him an ounce after I made him breastfeed three different time but it made all the difference in the world. Wow, how easily you forget how sleep deprived you are at the beginning.
Thursday morning, of that same week, Briggs had a doctor's appointment. It was just to check to make sure he was eating enough and make sure he was not jaundiced. Everything was great there. Frankie was off so he went with me which helped since Brooks had to go. We had a slight problem with our insurance and they were going to make us pay out of pocket for the visit. Our pediatrician stepped in and asked them not to charge us. We were so grateful!! We would have been reimbursed but that is such a hassle. On our way home, we were talking and came to conclusion that we had FLEAS!! Yuck!! That completely grosses my out. So I called and had our bug people scheduled to come out that afternoon but we had to be out of the house for 6-8 hours. We took Gracie to get dipped and shaved and packed up to head to Frankie's parents for the afternoon and evening.
My mom was here the next week and it went pretty smoothly. Thank you so much, mom!! We had our 10 year high school reunion that following weekend so I had to find something to wear and get spray tanned. My thought on that is fat always looks better tan!! The next week was my first week by myself and it went as smoothly as you could expect with a 2 week old and 2 year old. Both kids had doctor's appointments and unexpectedly Brooks had to get his flu shot. Thankfully, Barb was there to help assist with both kids. Thank you Barb!!
The next week Brooks started MDO. He did great except for at drop off time. His teachers said it will take a couple weeks and he should hopefully be adjusted. As on now, he is doing better with minimal crying. Saturday of this past week Brooks woke up with a runny nose. That stopped by Monday but then he started in with a cough. I was sure that he was going to end up really sick but he just kind of hung out with a nasty cough. Saturday afternoon I went to see a lactation consultant to find out that I had an infection and needed help with Briggs latch. By Wednesday, Brooks, Briggs and I were all sick with a stuffy/congested nose. I ended up taking the boys to the doctor on Friday. Brooks was fine with a little cough and Briggs had thrush and diaper rash that was yeast. Ugh!! $25.00 co-pay turned onto $50.00 plus medicine for Briggs' mouth and hiney. You know the saying, "which came first the egg or the chicken?" I think that applies to us. I'm not sure who had the infection first but we are both now being treated and I think making progress.
This makes me tired typing this so I guess it explains my exhaustion. Two is much more work than one but every time Briggs coos or smiles I am reminded why I wanted and am thankful for a second. Briggs is doing well with eating and sleeping. He eats every 2.5-3 hours during the day and every 3-5 hours at night. He pretty much sleeps in between bottle still which I am very thankful for still.
2 comments:
Wow- that made me tired (and a bit stressed!!) reading all of that. I can totally image that is how life will be for a while with 2- never a dull moment! Sounds like you are doing great handling it though! You looked great at the reunion!!
Oh no! Thrush! A girl in my playgroup had such a hard time getting rid of it. Good job to you for keeping up with the breastfeeing, I know how hard it can be.
Post a Comment