Monday, July 26, 2010

Bye- Bye Pacis

This past weekend Brooks decided that he wanted the rest of the tools that go with his Handy Manny tool set so I told him we would look while we were at Target and Walmart. While we were there all we could find was a complete tool set and we already have 5 out of the 8 tools. I was not going to spend that much money just to get two screwdrivers and a wrench. I decided we would look on the internet to try and find the 3 other tools but once again no such luck. I came up with a brilliant idea. I told Frankie Monday morning that I would explain to Brooks that once he got rid of his pacifiers that I would buy the WHOLE tool set for him. I told Brooks about our plan amd he said, "ok, mommy tomorrow". I decided that was a good enough start and I would continue to work on him. I wanted them gone by the time he started school which is September 7. By that afternoon, we were off the Party City to pick up balloons and I sent Frankie to Walmart to pick up the tool set. He had decided earlier that same day that he wanted to let his pacis go on balloons and send them to baby Ellington. I let him pick out his balloon colors to make this be more his decision than ours. When Frankie got home we tied the 2 pacis to the balloons and went outside to let them go. I told him and explained to him and reiterated to him that once we let them go they are gone and that they will not be there when he goes to bed. (He has only had had his pacis for bedtime for quite some time.) He was completely ok with it all. I even showed him the post that Wendy did about Jax letting his pacis go and he was still all about it. So outside we went to watch them float into the sky. He loved it. He thought it was the coolest and was so excited to get his tool set!

The rest of the evening went great. He always got his pacis after bath time and not a word. We brushed teeth, peed, read our books and said our prayers and still NOTHING!! Frankie and I were amazed and thought for sure that there was no way it was going to be this easy. Finally, Frankie leaned over to say good-night and there they came...the questions and the tears. I was able to console him and get him calmed down enough to say good-night myself and I walked out. I turned the monitor on as we were getting ready to work-out and all we could hear is sobbing and asking for his pacis. This cry was not like a cry we hear very often from Brooks. He was so upset that they were gone. I let it go on for about 10 minutes and then I went in there to calm him down and explain a little better. I laid there for about 20 minutes and sang to him and that was it. Never another word about those crazy things. He is doing well and will hopefully continue with this trend.

We have learned a lesson or two through this process. 1) Briggs really only has his pacis during nap and bed time and 2) they will be gone much sooner than Brooks' pacis. Here are a few pictures of the release...

Also, his dentist told us at his check-up that when he got rid of them that we could come back to the office he would get to pick out a stuffed animal. So the very next morning that is where we went. He picked out the lion. He also received a certificate for getting rid them. I thought this was very cute!! One more thing to put in the baby book to mark this momentous occasion!!
One last look
Away they go...
Saying bye-bye
So happy for his Handy Manny tool set

No comments: