Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Another Round of Giggly Juice

Didn't go as well as the first. Shortly before we realized Brooks was going to surgery we had been to the dentist for what I believed was a cavity. Unfortunately I was correct and we scheduled a day for the procedure to take place. We ended up changing the date due to surgery and we did not want them to be so close together. He had to be sedated a little because the dentist thought she would get the best results that way. We agreed and decided to go forward with it.

This morning we arrived at the dentist bright and early to start the process. The dentist called us back and we went into this room where she would have him drink the "conscientious sedation". Things took a major turn for the worse. Brooks not only refused to drink the medicine but also threw-up the medicine that I was actually getting down him. Let me back real quick for a minute... I'm not sure how many of you have had to do this but our insurance kinda stinks in this department. They only covered part of the cavity filling and none of the medicine or the sealants. They cover sealants on permanent teeth but not baby teeth and we along with the dentist believed they were necessary. The majority of our very expensive bill was the medicine. So when he started throwing it up all I could see money signs. I became very frustrated with the dentist and all I could do was cry. I felt really bad for Brooks, my mom had taken the day off to be with Briggs and I had already paid for this procedure. We ended up sitting in the soak room trying to let what ever medicine he got (if any) take effect. After about 30 minutes we decided that we would go ahead and try to get this taken care of. The plan before the the throw up incident was for me to get him the chair and then leave so the dentist did not have me to take care of at the same time she was trying to attend to Brooks. I was ok with this. I'm not a huge fan of the dentist either. Again things did not go as planned. I ended up staying in there the whole time. Brooks was amazing with only "laughing gas" and a numbing shot. I have never been so proud of how he acted!! The dentist and hygienist were amazed also. Before we started our plan was to get as far we could and then stop. Brooks was so good that we were able to fill the cavity and get sealants on all the rest of the teeth. WOW!! It was done and with no medicine. We are so glad that it is over!! No more fruit snacks in our house. (The dentist thinks this could have very well been the culprit because we brush nightly.)

I have no pictures and I am pretty sure none of us want visual reminders of this day. I did stay in the room the whole time and Brooks would frequently for me and all I had to say was "I'm still here" and he would let the dentist continue. Very AMAZED!!!

No comments: