Here's our plan as of now:
We started EleCare (a prescription formula that can only be bought at a place call Star Medical in Addison). She wanted us to start the vanilla flavored one but she had no samples and it was Christmas Eve Eve so there was no way that I was going to be able to get my hands on this so we had to settle for the unflavored. She instructed us to slowly add the formula in with my breast milk to help him transition to it. Briggs absolutely hated it and actually projectile vomited it all over me at one point. I was not about to spend our Christmas force feeding my sweet baby so I decided to wait and talk to her on Monday. I was instructed by the not so nice nurse to start the vanilla flavor EleCare and to see how that went. I asked her what the plan was if he did not gain weight with this or if he refused it too and she told me that she would probably want to get lab work done. I then asked what would she be testing and she once again not so nice nurse told me a complete blood count, RASP test (for allergies) and that she would probably test him for CF (Cystic Fibrosis). I thought in my head as quickly as the wheels would turn that there is NO that he can have this because I was already tested for it with lab work that was done before I was pregnant with Brooks. I proceeded to ask the nurse all my questions and she (to make it short and sweet) told me everything that I know about CF was wrong. CF is an autosomal, recessive disease and both parents have to be carriers for child to get it. She also told me that they don't test for CF and she wrong about that because I immediately picked up the phone and called my OB and was able to get to my test results from the nurse and it was NEGATIVE!! So all of this to say... I have a follow up visit with Dr. Dave on Wednesday and will address my issues with the nurse at that point. Briggs is taking the formula, not great but at least he is taking it. I am still pumping because I am so scared to loose my supply and not have any back up in case this does not work. I promise to keep you all updated and sorry if this is confusing to any of you. There is just so much that goes and by the time I write about I forget everything that has gone on.
Briggs is still, even with all his eating issues, one of the happiest babies that I have come across. We love him so much and has been such a blessing to our family!!
4 comments:
Man Katie! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. Hopefully the prescription formula will work. And don't you just hate not-so-nice nurses?! Explaining things we don't understand is what they're paid to do! So frustrating! Good luck!
That is terrible that you are having to go through this. I will be praying for answers for you!
I know how frustrating it is- I guess on the other side of it though. I really hope the Ella Care works...keep us posted! Did he stop throwing up after you tried it the first time?
I cant even imagine how hard this has all been for you! I hope things work out soon! He is one PRECIOUS little boy though!
Post a Comment