Friday, January 29, 2010

TMI...

TMI... I am giving you heads up so if you get offended easily then stop reading NOW!! Obviously, as most of you already know, Briggs is on formula. I had a really hard time coming to terms with the fact that I was not going to be able to breastfeed him any longer. I think that my decision was long over due but it made me sad, anxious and very disappointed to not be able to do it longer. After trying breast milk one more time last Thursday and it not going well, I decided that it was time. Friday, I started decreasing the amount of time that I pumped and how how often I pumped. I also started researching information on milk donation. I knew it existed because when I was a nurse we used it all the time for the premature babies when the mom couldn't or wouldn't breastfeed. I found the Mother's Milk Bank of North Texas and started the process. They do a phone interview, paper interview and blood work. They also request information from your OB/GYN and pediatrician. I never the process was so in depth. I took all my milk to date on Thursday to the WIC office in Denton County. I don't want to be ugly but I am so thankful that we are financially stable and have insurance. That is not place I would like to frequent often. I delivered 6 FULL Walmart bags to them. They were very thankful for all the milk and I was happy to be getting all of it out of our 2 freezers. I am still pumping but SLOWLY my milk supply is going down. I am not in a rush since I have a good cause to donate it to and it still makes me kinda sad.

6 comments:

the tatsaks said...

You are SO awesome and I know they really appreciate it!

Paige said...

Good for you!

Hicks House said...

What an amazing thing you are doing Katie!

Unknown said...

I think it is so great that you are doing this!

Regina said...

I think that is so awesome! Way to go!

Rainey Daye said...

You don't know me, but I found your blog via Leah's blog. Funny how I read this just days after I was able to take about 750oz of breastmilk in to the milk bank myself. They were so happy to get it and I'm glad that it will help babies who need it.