Thursday, August 28, 2008

The transition from you know where

Last week Frankie and I started trying to wean Brooks from breast milk, which he has had since day one, to cow's milk. It did not go very well and needless to say I think that Brooks' stomach is not ready for it or maybe he has some sort of allergy. I would feed a bottle that had little cow's milk and alot of breast milk and it never failed that during the bottle he would start throwing up. He was not gagging on the milk. It was like it would hit his stomach and he would immediately throw up. So after a long week of trying every concoction known to man kind I finally for the first time got him to drink ice cold RICE milk with strawberry syrup. He only had like an ounce but we will take whatever we can get since he has not had a sip of milk/formula since Monday morning. I think that he is boycotting and trying to hold out for more breast milk but "momma ain't got none." I guess that is the bad part of pumping only and being so far ahead that I was not able just keeping feeding him like most moms would have been able to do. I know that rice milk is not as good as whole milk but what can you do... I have heard so many things about soy milk that I am really trying to stay away from it. I will keep you all posted on our progress but hopefully tonight was a sign of all the good things to come. Keep our sweet little boy in your prayers because my 20 lb 15 oz little man can not afford to lose any weight.

2 comments:

Paige said...

if he likes yo baby yogurt try mixing it in with whole milk or the rice milk to make a smoothie type drink. My sister in law told me to do this and it saved my butt. Blake wouldn't take any milk either. She went from drinking one sip to happily chugging the bottle. Good luck!!!!

the tatsaks said...

I have heard that this can be a hard transition...I did not have to do it but I will certainly say a prayer. As for the couponing call me anytime and I will help you set it up.