Saturday, August 22, 2009

Briggs Lansing May



Kim and Katy

Justin and Erika - The Godparents

Kim, Levi and Noah




Ok, Ok, Ok... I know that it has taken me a little while but we have been very, very busy. For all you moms and dads you already know this but I thought I would reiterate that point. Briggs was born Monday afternoon at 1:19. It was a scheduled induction that went really fast. We got to the hospital at 6:00 am and I was still only dilated a little but was having contractions (that did not really hurt) every 5-7 minutes. They were pretty regular. My doctor came in around 8:15 am started me on Pitocin (a medication to induce productive contractions) and broke my water. That is when it all started... Briggs had had a bowel movement inside and that is not something that you want to happen. They started an intrauterine irrigation to help eliminate as much of the fluid and replace it with clean fluid. By 10:00 I was wanting an epidural. I was worried that I would have to wait but the CRNA was in my room within minutes. My contractions were getting worse and sitting still was almost impossible. The first stick was not in the right place because I could feel alot of pain so he stuck again. He gave me a big dose on top of a regular infusion. I was sure that I would feel some relief quickly but that was not the case. I waited about 30 minutes with the contractions getting closer together due to the increase in pitocin. The nurse had to check me to find out what was going on and had to give me the catheter. I did not feel any of this last time because I was already numb. I don't recommend this to anyone... I was dilated to 6 with no pain management and I had to get a second epidural. That one worked!!! They gave me an additional dose and I was feeling really good. We only had two problems... First, my blood pressure dropped VERY low and I was throwing up because of it and second, a nurse came in to help me with my blood pressure and when she checked me "I was READY"!!! I was so numb that I could not feel to push. Needless to say, all of this happened in about an hour time. Briggs was born within about 30 minutes doing great and checked by the NICU to make sure they got all the fluid with meconium out. He weighed 7lbs 14.5 oz and measured 20.25 inches. He also had the cord around his neck but it was not tight so that was not an issue. My nursing school friend, Kenzi, she was in the wedding was on the NICU team and did a great job!! Sorry for the long story but I want it in writing so I can remember this in the future.

4 comments:

Regina said...

Congrats!! He's a doll!

Jennifer said...

Congrats! He is one handsome guy!

the tatsaks said...

He is SO cute!!! Congrats!

The Vicari's said...

Congratulations! Briggs is precious and I am glad everything ended up working out fine. I am sure it was scary for a while.